Sunday 31 May 2015

Turkey and white bean chili

I'm not going to lie, I am the person who likes turkey at times other than Christmas.  This is a current favourite and I've made it every month for the past few months.  I just like it and it's a change if you've already got another beef-based batch of food in the freezer (like a pasta sauce for example) - essentially, when I started doing the batch cooking, the first month I made a regular chili and a bolognese sauce and I felt like all I ate was ground beef for about three weeks and I really got bored.

Anyway here's the recipe:

1 spicy chorizo sausage ring
1 pack of minced turkey
2 green bell peppers
1 large onion
2 large courgettes
green jalapenos (the kind that come in sweet vinegar like you'd put on your salad) - to taste
1 small jar of salsa (mild or hot - to taste)
1 carton of tomatoes with chili and peppers (or plain - your call)
2 fat cloves of garlic
1 can of haricot beans, drained
1 can of cannelini beans, drained
2 cans of pinto beans, drained
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp dried oregano

Same old same old, honestly - get the chorizo chopped up small and into the pan and frazzle it off, then add the turkey mince and onions and break them up so it all cooks down together.

Add the garlic and let it soften before putting everything else in except for the beans.  Let it all cook together on a gentle heat for about half an hour or so til everything is soft and cooked down, then add the drained beans.

Stir it all together and portion it up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment