Tuesday 2 February 2010

Sort-of kedgeree

Okay SO. My mum used to feed us kedgeree quite often, but always at dinner time (I know it's traditionally a breakfast dish). Anyway I loved it and I haven't had it literally for years so I decided to have a go at making it tonight, sans recipe, and with a sort of half remembered list of ingredients and various phonecalls to my mum. I'm including my recipe that I sort of made up and my mum's variations.

1 pack of smoked mackerel (cooked, you know the sort - flaked up with your fingers, skins off)
4 eggs, hard boiled (my mum just whisks hers and scrambles them in)
handful of sliced mushrooms (my mum uses mostly mushrooms)
1 green bell pepper, diced finely (she doesn't add this)
1 onion, diced finely (mum uses sliced spring onions)
1 tablespoon medium curry powder (mum uses soy sauce, apparently - I don't remember that!)
About 250g (dry weight) cooked, cold basmati rice

How I do it:

Cook the rice, and leave to cool. Also, hard-boil the eggs, and leave those to cool too. Go and do something else for an hour or whatever.

When you come back, saute the vegetables gently until soft, with the curry powder. Add the mackerel and (gulp) some butter, and then stir fry the rice until it's all piping hot and lovely. Stir your sliced up hard boiled eggs in and shovel in quickly while it's hot, preferably in front of the football.

My mum does the rice ahead too, and sautes the onions and mushrooms together too, and then she scrambles the eggs into the veg, adds the mackerel and rice and soy sauce and str fries it all together. I'd have thought that'd be hyper salty but I remember it being delicious so I am sure it was :)

Anyway mine came out lovely although almost certainly hotter than anyone in my family would have enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment